Cost-Containment and Surgery Under Peripheral Anesthesia
By Dr. Sarie Guanzon-Laserna
Dr. Jim Sanchez started his private practice as a Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon at Clinica Manila in 1994. It was in Clinica Manila that he learned the concept and system of SURGICARE COST-CONTAINMENT and later applied it in his pet project, the “Hospital on Wheels” (HOW). Simply stated, HOW is a mobile ambulatory surgery center which is a concrete example of Filipino ingenuity driven by burning passion to excel in serving others, all the time.
The R.P. Healthcraft Carrier, popularly known as “Hospital on Wheels” (HOW) was pioneered by Dr. Sanchez. It is truly a novel and noble humanitarian manifesto, proving to be the rising north star of Philippine healthcare revolution. Novel because it is an innovative masterpiece, a first of its kind worldwide, including its SUPer-A (Surgery Under Peripheral Anesthesia) a technique perfected by Dr. Sanchez which can cut the cost up to 70 percent compared to standard/usual surgical procedures. Secondly, it is noble because it represents a lifetime legacy of Christian love, compassion and selfless service to humanity.
Dr. Sanchez actually conceptualized this dream project, carefully crafted to help uplift the lives of our neglected and suffering countrymen. It addresses the critical dilemma of the Philippine’s poorest and neediest Filipino, drowning in dire poverty, afflicted with diseases and hopelessness for generations.
Aptly designated as the rising north star of Philippine Healthcare, it compliments the government agenda to focus on socio-cultural transformation with a resurgent focus on health, education and socioeconomic programs for the 30 percent (27 million) forgotten and downtrodden indigent Filipinos.
Such ingenious healthcare prototype epitomizes the best and truly inclusive universal healthcare for all citizens. Above all, HOW exemplifies the proverbial adage that states, “If the people cannot go to the mountain, let the mountain go to the people.”
The following are just some of the benefits and incentives of HOW for the government, physicians and the Filipino in supporting this great humanitarian project:
1. HOW serves as a prototype that can coordinate its mobile fleet to work with over 500 medical and surgical missions all over the country annually;
2. It can be rapidly deployed to bring healthcare, life support, emergency surgical care to victims of disasters in remote areas;
3. It has the capability to transport disaster preparation packs, first aid bags, and relief goods to victims of disasters anywhere in the Philippines;
4. It serves as a mobile prototype for medical-surgical training of interns and residents on rotation basis;
5. For big private business sponsors, donating to RP Healthcraft Carrier Foundation, Inc. entitles donor tax break as its corporate social responsibility (CSR). In the United States, donations made to HOW thru the Filipino United Network is also tax deductible since they are a registered 501-C3 Foundation;
6. Most importantly HOW offers to the Philippines and globally, a historical breakthrough in the field of surgical cost containment and safety through Dr. Sanchez’ mastery of SUPer-A (Surgery Under Peripheral Anesthesia) perfected technique. Cost containment ruins up to 70 percent less expensive than standard/usual surgical procedures.
As part of Clinica Manila’s 25th anniversary, HOW is the adopted annual CSR activity.