Here are 13 basic but important tips on how to take care of your crowning glory
By Ana Aurelia M. Santos, MD,DPDS
• Oil, hair care products, and dead skin cells can leave the scalp feeling heavy. Scalp exfoliation done 1-2x a month promotes healthier hair growth
• When shampooing hair, massage the scalp with gentle circular massaging motions. This promotes blood circulation, which in turn, leads to hair growth
• Apply conditioner from the middle to the ends of the hair to avoid product build up on scalp.
• When drying hair after a shower, squeeze out excess water gently. Avoid rubbing hair.
• Use a wide toothed comb to detangle hair, as it is prone to breakage when wet.
• Protect hair from ultraviolet rays by wearing a hat or carrying an umbrella.
• Allow hair to completely dry before straightening or curling it.
• Apply a heat protectant on hair before straightening or curling it.
• Switch hair part to the opposite side to give hair a new and fuller look.
• Avoid tying hair in tight ponytails, braids or other similar hairstyles because it causes strain to the hair follicles, which can lead to hair fall.
• Extend time in between hair straightening or curling treatments to minimize damage. If hair becomes brittle, avoid having the procedure done, and let hair grow to replace damaged hair.
• It is advised to dye hair within three shades of its natural color. Use of a lighter hair color more than three shades of the hair’s natural color will need an increased amount of the lightening agent, which damages the hair.
• Biotin has been promoted as a hair growth supplement, but it has not been shown to have an effect on healthy hair or in persons with no biotin deficiency. The American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) reported that although biotin may be useful in certain hair conditions, more studies on biotin and its use on healthy hair and on hair conditions are necessary.
“Biotin has been promoted as a hair growth supplement, but it has not been shown to have an effect on healthy hair or in persons with no biotin deficiency”
Walth, CB, Wessman LL et al. Response to “Rethinking biotin therapy for hair, nail, and skin disroders.” J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018; 79(6): e121-e124.
Tips for Healthy Hair. In: https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair-nails/hair-care/tips-for-healthy-hair. Accessed 3 September 2019.
Coloring and perming tips for healthier-looking hair. In: https://www.aad.org/public/skin-hair-nails/hair-care/coloring-and-perming-tips. Accessed 3 September 2019.
Draelos Z. Going to great lengths for beautiful hair: Dermatologist shares hair care tips for healthy and damaged hair. In https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/going-to-great-lengths-for-beautiful-hair-dermatologist-shares-hair-care-tips-for-healthy-and-damaged-hair. Accessed 4 September 2019.